There is something so comforting about coffee cake in the morning! I can’t think of a better way to usher in a new school year, than with these 5 Breakfast Cake Recipes to Brighten your Mornings.
5 Breakfast Cake Recipes to Brighten Your Mornings
This post contains affiliate links.
Classic Coffee Cake
There is nothing better than Burnt Macaroni‘s Classic Coffee Cake in the morning, especially with your cup of coffee! This recipe is super easy and wonderfully delicious.
Cinnamon Roll Bread
For the bread:
For the swirl topping:
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
For the glaze:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, and sour cream. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and combine.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the swirl topping ingredients. Using a spoon, add the swirl topping to the bread, and spread it on the bread.
- Bake for 45-50, minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool for 15 minutes. Then, remove from pan and let cool on wire rack until completely cool.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients and drizzle on the cool bread.
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Flour (set aside ¼ cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Fresh Blueberries
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Using a hand mixer, mix together the butter, lemon zest, and 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of sugar, until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until mixed together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of flour with the blueberries.
- In a third bowl, whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
This recipe was inspired by alexandracooks.com
Homemade Corn Muffins
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 425° and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine milk and remaining 1/2 cup cornmeal. Then, microwave for 1 1/2 minutes longer.
- Mix thoroughly, and continue to microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir again — continue until batter thickens.
- Fold in sour cream, melted butter, and sugar, until combined.
- Add in the eggs.
- Stir in flour mixture, until it’s combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin tin (evenly divide the batter for all 12 muffin tins).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown, and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes before removing each from the tin. Let cool outside of the muffin tin for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Thanks to Cooks Illustrated for this amazing recipe!
Coffee Cake in a Mug
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons Applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 drops Vanilla extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- In a microwavable mug, soften 1 tablespoon of butter for about 5 seconds, until soft , but not melted.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and mix well.
- Stir in applesauce, a few drops of vanilla, flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Use the back of a spoon to smooth it out in the bottom of the mug.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the second tablespoon of softened butter, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Use your fingers to create a crumb-like mixture.
- Add the crumb mixture to the cake batter.
- Put back in microwave for 50 seconds, then continue with 10-second intervals after that if not cooked.
- Serve hot.
Thanks to Heather Likes Food for this recipe!
Some Of Our Favorite Kitchen Products
Nothing beats trying new kitchen toys! Here are some of our favorites!
Breakfast Recipes the Whole Family Will Love!
What is your favorite breakfast cake? Comment below!